I wanted to cancel a Direct Debit from my N26 account, and couldn’t find any reference to it in the app, so I contacted customer care.
Here’s the process they explained to me to cancel a Direct Debit:
- Download the form https://docs.n26.com/cs/N26DirectDebitBlockEN.pdf form their site, and fill in the details the Creditor ID or Merchant Reference
- Ensure the form has your physical handwritten signature on it
- Scan the form, and email to support(Replace with @)n26.com
- N26 will then cancel the Direct Debit for you
There’s no help within the app or website that tells you the Creditor ID or Merchant Reference for an existing Direct Debit. Neither of these values are listed against a transaction, so you need to find them elsewhere.
I checked the website of the company that I was paying my Direct Debit to, and their Creditor ID was listed – so I was able to the get the value fairly easily.
The Creditor ID is a unique reference that identifies an organisation collecting payments through a SEPA Direct Debit, and is usually issued by the organisation’s bank. It reads a bit like an IBAN, but may be shorter, with a mixture of letters and numbers. The Direct Debit Mandate form – whether electronic or paper – should show the Creditor ID on it.
Here’s an extract from the Bank of Ireland SEPA Direct Debit Creditor’s Guide that explains the Creditor ID format:
I’m not sure how you find out the Merchant Reference! If you find out, let me know!
Reversing Direct Debits already paid
If you want to initiate a refund on a Direct Debit that has already been paid, you can do this from within the mobile app:
- Tap on the Direct Debit transaction to view the details
- Scroll to the bottom and select the option “Initiate refund”
- Send the request
N26 state that the money will be returned to your account within 2 banking days.