I complete packing for our camino trip this morning. We’re doing the last 110km of the Camino Frances (or French way) from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela.
I think I’ve got everything I need, but if I don’t then I’m sure I’ll cope. After all there are shops in Spain, so I can buy anything extra I require.
Most of my gear comes from Mountain Warehouse, which has the benefit of being relatively inexpensive and also offering the large sizes I need.
Here’s all my gear laid out:
- Phoenix Extreme Backpack from Mountain Warehouse. People say you should invest in a good backpack and have it properly fitted to your body type in a shop, but this cheapish one I got online is fine. I’ve used it a fair bit already, and it’s good and comfortable. It has as 35 litre capacity, well padded shoulder straps, a waist strap, outside compartments to store water bottles, and a waterproof cover.
- Stride walking shorts and zip-off walking trousers from Mountain Warehouse – both of which are stretchy, lightweight, and quick drying
- Under Armour wicking underwear – expensive but I got them half price at an outlet mall. They have a six-inch long leg that doesn’t ride up, and helps me avoid any chub-rub at the top of my thighs!
- 3 x Deuce IsoCool Polo shirts from Mountain Warehouse – lightweight, wicking and with UV protection
- First aid kit – cheap all-in-one Amazon kit, with added Compeed plasters for any blisters
- T-shirt and shorts for sleeping from Mountain Warehouse
- 3 X Merino wool hiking socks by Danish Endurance purchased from Amazon
- Lightweight rain jacket from Mountain Warehouse
- Microfibre towel
- Baseball cap
- Phone charger with adapter for Spain, and a small powerbank
- Water bottle and collapsible water container
- Toiletries in a zip-lock bag – containing miniature-sized sunscreen, deodorant, shave gel, toothpaste, hand sanitiser and vaseline
- Toothbrush, earplugs and drugs in a zip-lock bag
- Camino passport from the Camino Society Ireland, and comes with its own protective sleeve
- Passport – in a plastic bag to protect it from getting wet
- Walking shoes – Merrell MOAB 2 Ventilator from Great Outdoors
- Rubber soled sandals – for wearing in the evening after walking to give my feet a rest